We believe that for all our children to become fluent readers and writers, phonics must be taught through a systematic and structured phonics programme.
We use the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised to plan and provide daily engaging phonics lessons.
- In the nursery, children follow the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised ‘Foundations for Phonics’ guidance. The focus is on daily oral blending and language development through high quality stories and rhymes.
- Quality continuous provision provides children opportunities for children to practise and apply through practical, hands on learning experiences indoor and outdoor.
Reception and KS1
- In Reception, Y1 and Y2 where appropriate, children follow the progression within Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised programme. Phonics is taught daily and there is a review session on a Friday.
- Phonics is taught explicitly in whole class sessions in Foundation Stage and KS1 and in groups and/or individually where necessary in KS2.
- Some children will require further practice in addition to the whole class sessions and so these children will access keep up sessions.
- In Reception and Year 1, quality continuous provision provides children opportunities for children to practise and apply through practical, hands on learning experiences indoor and outdoor.